They say you can never go Home...

Soldiers of Sparta were allowed to return home after lost battles, only if carried dead upon their shields. I'm convinced this is a more practical and time-saving way to go about it.

Friday, September 03, 2004

Wir muessen zu Gott wenden, mit alle unsere Kleinigkeiten...

For all of my formal religious programming, I am still pretty dumb when it comes to matters of faith.

Last month, I attended a Lutheran church in the neighborhood, because I saw a sign that said "German service, 3:00 p.m.". And because I think that German rocks, and I was desperately lonely, I attended the service.

I don't know if it was the difference in the Church, or the fact that it was in a language other than English, and thus forced me to pay acute attention to translating, instead of just drooling on myself--but I got something out of it. It was really very nice, indeed.

I met a lot of wonderful septuagenarians/octogenarians at the subsequent kaffeeklatsch who graciously tolerated me, and my jagged German, and fed me absolutely amazing coffee cake and dessert items. Several of them are trying to set me up with their husband's German clubs, etc. Imagine! ME! A dago, being invited to be part of some German equivalent of the Sons of Italy! I love these people!

Anyway, it was a nice pick-me-up. Wasn't completely the answer to my loneliness though, but a good respite.

However.

Maybe the whole process works in spite of itself.

It might be premature (and God help me if I jinx it), but I think, as of yesterday, my loneliness factor might have increased by a factor of at least 10.