They say you can never go Home...

Soldiers of Sparta were allowed to return home after lost battles, only if carried dead upon their shields. I'm convinced this is a more practical and time-saving way to go about it.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Calling a spade a spade

A coworker (who I have recently become friendly with) and me were having a conversation togther about theology, when she suddenly punctuated her sentence by expressing her worry that she myave have sounded like she was "trying to convince me to return to The Church." I must have looked a bit confused or stunned, so she said:

"Well, you said you haven't been to Mass in a year; that means you've left the Church." she replied ruefully.

It never occurred to me that my fellow Catholics would have a name for the process that is currently occuring outside of their view, outside of their church, outside of their limited understanding. I had forgotten that it was entirely possible that they would arrive at a pronouncement of the current state of my spirital health much more quickly than I have otherwise managed.

Heretoforth, I had considered myself to be on a hiatus. Don't call me, I'll call you--that sort of thing.

Not sure how I feel about this, other than mostly irritated and only slightly rueful.