They say you can never go Home...

Soldiers of Sparta were allowed to return home after lost battles, only if carried dead upon their shields. I'm convinced this is a more practical and time-saving way to go about it.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Other Side of Glasnost.

Having lived most of my life in a house with several opinionated people, I am, myself, opinionated. However, having lived with an overbearing father for many of those years, I feel that I am cautious (if not a little bit guarded) about what I say. Because, somehow, one does not develop a taste for ridicule in the same way that one gets a taste for beer, or wine, (or really, any alcoholic beverage) as they become older.

In the same way that I may be cautious about what I say, I am also a bit cautious about what I Let People Know.

And yet, the sheer stupidity of that statement does register as 1) I do maintain (albeit loosely) a blog and 2) my last blog entry openly admits that I am, in fact, a virgin.

I have come to realize, having "outed" myself to my "friends", that having this sort of information is regarded somewhat as a commodity. It's palpably regarded with a specious sort of value , and somehow, amazingly (to me), interesting to people. I have found that almost exclusively, everyone who knows about my afflicted status, has, in turn, outed me to someone else they trust.

The process is such:

1) I tell the individual who I decide to trust
2) They pretend (or are) a little bit shocked.
3) I assume that they understand that this information is shared somewhat conspiratorily, in confidence, despite being not a little bit mundane.
4) They immediately tell the closest of their friends whom THEY trust.
5) Suddenly, the whole fucking town knows.

Whatever.

One thing more than I vehemently detest, is people knowing anything about me in the context of a relationship, except for--get this--the people whom I trust.

But this is not a matter of assigning blame! when things concerning me come up as a group topic of discussion. Rather, it is the sense that my life is in any way, shape, form, capacity INTERESTING enough to discuss amongst others!

The fact that it, apparently, is, is supremely annoying.